1. In a major show of pre-poll strength, 23 Opposition parties moved the Supreme Court , demanding the random verification of at least 50% Electronic Voting Machines (EVM) using Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) in every Assembly segment or constituency.
2. Hours after blocking a UN ban on Masood Azhar, China made it plain that it would consider shifting its position on designating the head of the Jaish-e-Mohammed as an international terrorist only after reaching a consensus between Beijing, New Delhi and Islamabad.
3. India has urged Pakistan to grant visa-free travel rights to Indian pilgrims visiting the Kartarpur shrine. The proposal was part of the Indian agenda at meeting between delegations from both countries at Attari where the draft agreement for the Kartarpur Corridor was discussed.
4. The government expects to meet its disinvestment target of Rs. 80,000 crore even though it has achieved only Rs. 56,473.42 crore so far with only 15 days left for the end of the financial year.
5. Wholesale price inflation snapped a three-month declining trend by rising to 2.93% on the back of firming food and fuel prices, official data showed.
6. A group of 108 economists and social scientists working around the world, have issued an appeal to convince the Indian government to stop suppressing uncomfortable data, restore access to public statistics and re-establish the independence and integrity of institutions.
7. While the government is reasonably confident of meeting its direct tax collection target for the current financial year, indirect tax collection may fall short, S.C. Garg, Finance Secretary, said.
8. The Election Commission has for the first time started using a mobile application that will help poll observers to submit reports.The electoral body held a meeting with over 1,800 IAS, IPS and IRS officials, besides some others from the Central services, who are to be deployed as observers in the Lok Sabha and Assembly elections. They will get all the important notifications and alerts through the ‘Observer App’. It will also help them get their deployment status and download the ID card.
9. The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu has called for tapping the creative potential of the country’s youth to make India a leading knowledge and innovation hub.
10. Addressing the students at the first Graduation Ceremony of PSG Institute of Technology and Applied Research at Coimbatore today, the Vice President said that in this age of Intellectual Property Rights, the innovation and entrepreneurship of young professionals will play a major role in propelling India’s economy to newer heights and in creating an inclusive society.
11. The NITI Aayog and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) organized the first workshop on development of the India Energy Modelling Forum (IEMF), which has been envisaged as a pan-stakeholder platform for debating ideas, scenario-planning & discussing the India's energy future.